Thursday, June 12, 2008

I rode!

Yesterday I got on Bestie for the first time since late February. It has been a l-o-n-g time! I lunged her first (better safe than sorry) and she got a little racing around out of her system that way. I only rode a couple of times around the indoor and then went out with Katie into the field next to the outdoor ring and did a lap around that. All told, maybe 15 minutes on her at most.

She was good. She broke into a trot as we turned around and headed back toward the barn, but settled right back down into a walk when I pulled back on the reins. She walks so much faster than Dude that I'm always twisting around in the saddle to talk to Katie when we're out on the horses. I'd love it if Bestie would just amble along like Dude does. Her whole way of going is very "up" and I'm just not used to it or comfortable with it. I think I've seen her going full tilt with Maddie one too many times to feel very secure.

The funny thing is that considering how high strung she is, she does have a nice little Western jog. It's just that she won't do it for long before she starts speeding up. If I could get her to jog along as a regular practice, I'd be so happy. I guess it will take a lot more work on my part to achieve that. In any case, it was fun to be back in the saddle again!

No comments: