Saturday, March 21, 2009

Enjoying the sunshine

Wow--we've had a series of days with sun and there are a few more in the forecast ... it's GREAT! Still settling the horses into turnout. I'm just not comfortable putting them out all day, so life is a bit complicated, but at least they're getting out.

Dude and Bestie were initially slotted to go in the front two fields which run right down to the road. I'm a worry wart, so the thought of them being right on the road stressed me out a bit, as did the steep slope given the current condition of the fields ... standard spring sloppiness, especially in the first field. I had visions of pulled shoes or falls. Because I don't want either of them in that first field, there's only the second front field available. Meaning a) both of them stay in their stalls until I get get there to swap another horse out of another field, or b) one of them goes out while the other waits in the barn until I get there to swap.

The second option didn't seem like it would work--neither one would be happy all alone in the barn. So ... both of them are staying in and getting turned out when I get there. On work days, it's a little hectic since about the earliest I can get to the barn is 3:30. On those days they only get one to two hours outside. Yesterday and today worked pretty well since I was off and could spend more time at the barn. They seem to have gotten the drill, so on days when Laura is there earlier than me I think she can swap them ok.

Today they were out about two and a half hours, then I handgrazed each of them for 20 minutes. They both got sleepy-eyed about as soon as they returned to their stalls. No stamina for this spring sunshine and grass!

I think it's all going to work out fine once the fields clear and they get used to their new surroundings.

No comments: