Saturday, July 18, 2009

I lovvvvve a nice quiet afternoon at the barn

Some days I go to the barn and it seems like all the planets align. The planets, in this case, are usually the weather, the level of activity in the barn, my mood, and the horses' moods. Today: sunny weather by the time I got to the barn; quiet barn because several boarders were away at a show; I felt happy due to the sunny weather; and the horses were happy too. Not sure why. Maybe it was the sugar cubes I promptly gave each of them upon arrival.

Need to remember to call HorseTech on Monday morning; I tried ordering online but couldn't find the Glanzen GL Lite on the site. Dude and Bestie have each got enough to last through Friday.

Dude and his afternoon cohorts had their turnout shortened because there was a fairly heavy early afternoon downpour that looked like it might turn into a thunderstorm. I'm always grateful for the consideration shown by whoever brings them in, because Dude is a weenie and tends to run at the slightest provocation. I think it has something to do with being in a field by himself; he was never such a weenie when he was in group turnout.

Since he had come in early, I took him out for 20 minutes or so of handgrazing. I put his fly mask on and off we went. It was great for about 10 minutes, then the biting flies found us. We stayed out for about 10 more minutes and then he and I both lost it at about the same time. I can't stand it when they start landing on ME, so I was totally sympathetic when he made a move to the barn door.

Then I took Bestie out and handgrazed her while I curried her. She was a mess, and I bet she had rolled in the wet spot in her field in an attempt to deter the flies. After she was presentable I brought her in and saddled her up. She put up a token show of resistance, going to the back of her stall and then turning her head to peer at me to see what I'd do. It makes me laugh when she does that. We had a nice little ride in the indoor, then went out and around the field a couple of times. The breeze had picked up so the bugs weren't as bad. It was really pleasant ambling along and I saw three bluebirds--a first for me at the barn.

Bestie was kind of gassy when we were still in the indoor. The barn had gotten a load of new green hay so that may have had something to do with it. I ended up cutting both her and Dude's dinner hay with some old hay that we still had in the loft just to reduce the richness somewhat. Dude had some problems last year when we got the first load of new hay, so I thought I'd better play it safe and mix it.

They both looked really shiny and beautiful by the time I left, which will last only as long until tomorrow's turnout. Oh well.

No comments: