Monday, April 4, 2011

Blankie shopping

Back to talking blankies; actually, turnout sheets. I feel like I go through this every year about this time ... in winter the temperatures usually stay cold enough that the horses don't get wet - the snow might collect on their turnout sheets but it is generally easily brushed off and doesn't soak through. But now that we're moving into spring, it's become very clear that the waterproofing on the turnout sheets is shot. This is actually round two (and maybe even round three) of waterproofing, because I've had these sheets at least four years and have sprayed each at least twice with tent waterproofer after the original waterproofing seemed to wear off.

So I've been combing the catalogs, looking at "denier" and weighing closed versus open front, and of course the all important thing ... color. Is there a perfect turnout? Everyone seems to have their favorites. I really prefer the turnout sheets over the insulated turnouts because our barn is warm - I like being able to get that top layer off of them when they're inside in the winter, but still leave a layer on.

I was told in a tack store that the higher the denier, the more durable and waterproof the sheet is. Both Dude and Bestie need waterproof horsey wear, since they're out all day (although not when it's absolutely pouring) and when the weather is cool I don't like them to get wet. And Dude needs durability since his friends like to goof around with the blankies - he's got a tail flap on one sheet with a row of bite marks neatly imprinted along the edge, and a few little nibble holes on the rump section of the sheet that are bound to become bigger. I'm leaning toward Rider sheets for both of them: Bestie's first sheet was a Rider and it lasted well, in fact, she still wears it as a back-up when her main turnout is in the wash. So, 1200 denier for Bestie in a cute girly plaid, 1680 denier for Dude in a no-nonsense masculine gray/forest green combo. The pages in the catalog are folded down, ready for the call to place the order tomorrow. Whew ... I feel like I've spent an awful lot of time thinking about this. Fingers crossed that they're in stock!

No comments: