Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tack cleaning and riding this week

Over the last week I've spent some time cleaning both Bestie's and Dude's saddles. It's not something I'm very consistent about, for some reason. Just a time thing, I think. When I do clean them, I'm always so amazed and pleased at how great they look - I really should do it more often.

I cleaned Dude's saddle yesterday, thinking I would ride him today. The bad news is that as soon as I got on him and started down the path, I could hear a shoe/s clinking. I hopped off only to find that one shoe was pretty loose at the heel. Back we walked to the barn. Barn manager Caitlin took a look and thought that actually both front shoes are loose. His feet are a mess because the last farrier appointment was so overdue. I think it's going to take a couple cycles to get Dude's hooves back in shape. Even though the shoe issue came as no surprise, it was still disappointing not to be able to go out to the field with him. In a clean saddle :).

I ended up hopping on Bestie and riding her in the indoor, and she was good. We had a nice little session working on trotting and serpentining as follow-up to my lesson. It was necessarily short since the whole thing with Dude had taken up some time. I'm really trying to not tense up when she gets fast. I sit deep, try to keep my shoulders down, and breath calmly and it seems to help. Since the lesson we've had a couple rides where she's gotten fast, but then relaxed. It may sound like a small achievement, but it IS an achievement - this is the horse who can work herself up into a trotting frenzy of epic proportions.

We started talking at the barn today about the Equine Affaire in November. A group usually goes from the barn, but I haven't been in several years. I'm seriously thinking of going this year. When I've gone before there have always been wonderful clinicians, plus it's a great shopping opportunity and the horses do need new turnout sheets.

No comments: