Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fall shots

First, a little shot taken earlier this week on my way up to work. I love fall in Vermont! Up in the mountains, the foliage has changed more than down by the barn, where it's still pretty green. But the temperatures this week are a little crisper and the horses seem to like that, along with the fact that there are fewer bugs outside. Fly masks have been retired until next spring.


Normally we do Potomac Horse Fever and flu/rhino boosters in the fall. This year, Eastern Equine Encephalitis and West Nile have been recommended by our veterinarian as boosters, due to recent evidence of both in Vermont in an area not too far south of us. I think it's the first time in the 12-plus years we have lived here that I've heard of EEE surfacing. There has been local news coverage over the last few weeks and it's a bit scary. Heartbreaking for the families impacted by the two infections and subsequent deaths that have occurred with people. Our vet's Facebook page has identified two equine cases thus far.

Dude and Bestie had their boosters last Friday, and will get the rest of the shots this coming Friday. No ill effects, just very slight lumps on their necks at the booster site.

I was off to Tennessee mid-September for several days to visit my parents so I haven't ridden much lately. The two rides I've had since I've been back have been good ones. Bestie was off a week and a half while I was traveling, and I was able to get right on her. Once upon a time that wouldn't have been a good idea. Hugs and kisses to the new mellow Bestie. :)

No comments: