Sunday, October 6, 2013

Shiny ponies

In an earlier post I wrote about switching over Dude and Bestie to a new supplement - staying with HorseTech but going with Reitsport Senior to provide them with a bit more "juice" as they age. Bestie has been on the Reitsport Senior since mid June (full dose by the end of June); Dude has been on a full dose for 2-3 weeks now. This picture isn't that great (dark barn aisle, black horse, inept photographer), but it's clear how shiny her coat is. Someone commented on her beautiful coat a few days ago as I was grooming her, which led me to step back and really look at her. Her cold weather coat has started to come in, so she's gotten darker than she is in the summer, and she IS shiny. Super shiny. I noticed the same thing with Dude, too, this week. He's turned a richer more coppery color, and his coat has a nice sheen to it. Nothing else has really changed with their diet, so I'm happy to credit the Reitsport. :) 



We're doing lots of quality grooming time as I hurt my knee a week ago in hockey. I was going for the puck with someone and ended up doing the splits ... but on my knees. "Pop" - I felt the same sensation as I did 3 years ago during another spectacular fall that landed me with a torn MCL. I'm icing and ibuprofening and it's feeling better than the first go-round, BUT I can't ride. Just the thought of swinging my leg over a horse makes my knee ache. So that's a bummer. I had just gotten back to riding Dude and felt like I was settling into the ol' two horse schedule. Bestie's a scrub grazer so this time of year I spend a lot of quality time picking the burdocks out of her tail. Every day I put conditioner in her tail in hopes that the burdocks won't adhere. It doesn't seem to be working...

No comments: