Sunday, April 27, 2014

An afternoon at the barn

I should know by now ... 9 times out of 10, when I'm feeling a bit draggy about going to the barn, when I get there, it's good. By good I mean that whatever was making me feel cranky usually disappears. When you're in the moment with Dude or Bestie, life is pretty simple and straightforward.

Yesterday I had a lengthy meeting to go to that involved a two-hour drive, so I left the house at 7:30 am and got back at 4:30 pm. It was a good meeting, but being gone for that chunk of time on a Saturday left me feeling less than enthusiastic about going to the barn. 

The horses are still confined to their stalls because the paddocks are really soupy. I brought each of them out to the indoor to have some stretching time. I romped with Dude off his lead, then handwalked him. Bestie strolled around as she's not much of a romper, then I handwalked her a couple of laps then grazed her outside on one of the few teeny tiny patches of grass available at this time of year.


Captured one of Dude's 3 rolls. Drop and roll, drop and roll, drop and roll.
This always makes me laugh. Who's the handsome guy in the mirror?
Checking out the action down in the new arena. At one point Jubilee was in the other arena staring back at him, but I couldn't get them both in the frame.
Bestie goes down much more daintily than Dude, and one prolonged roll is good. No multiples for her.
Hard to tell from the photo ... mud, mud and more mud.

No comments: