Sunday, October 12, 2014

Nice to meet you, Wonder Dust

Twice this summer, Dude scraped up the inside of his front left leg. This photo was scrape #1, not too bad, basically a surface scrape. We think he's somehow catching himself with the edge of his shoes when he rolls. Scrape #2 arrived just after Scrape #1 healed. It was uglier. Pretty much a surface scrape again, but longer, and with a  little divot about half way down.



It took forever to heal. At night I would swab it with 3-way ointment and keep it wrapped with a layer of gauze and a just enough Vet Wrap to hold the gauze in place. Since it was fairly low on his leg, I didn't want mud getting in there, or risk him catching himself again. A week went by with not much progress. I think between the wrapping and the warm humid weather, it just couldn't heal. Then barn manager Paula suggested ...



I had never heard of the stuff; amazing, after all these years with horses. Luckily the barn had a bottle stashed away. It wasn't too full of the magic dust, so it took me a bit to master the proper poofing of the dust onto his leg. But once I got the poof technique down, it was pretty cool. The next day I could really see how the scrape was drying up. Went to Guy's Farm & Yard and bought my own bottle the next weekend. 

No comments: