Friday, May 1, 2015

Time for a saddle cleaning


I was a total loser as a rider this winter - just couldn't do it with the frigid temperatures. Particularly in the older indoor with the metal walls, it was like riding in a freezer. Not fun. My last ride for the winter on Bestie was in early January, and I just got back on her (once) about a week ago.

In the interim, the saddles accumulated a lot of dust in the tack room. 

A couple weeks ago the May issue of Western Horseman arrived, and I read the article "The Secret of Suds" with interest. The saddle cleaning tips in the article are the shared wisdom of Canadian saddlemaker Ken Cameron. 

I liked it right away because he started with the assumption that  your saddle had not been used all winter because you'd been in hibernation. Yep.

I learned that my main problem is rushing the job. I soap it up, rub it down, apply conditioner, and off I go. To do it right, you should soap it up - and Mr. Cameron is ALL about plenty of soap suds; in fact, he describes the goal in the soaping process as "a froth." The next step is to let it dry for two or three days before doing anything more. Giving it plenty of time to dry minimizes the chance of rot, particularly if you're applying some sort of sealant/conditioner-type material after cleaning.

I learned that Murphy's Oil Soap can be used as a saddle cleaner.

I learned that using too much oil in our damper climate could lead to mold and mildew.

All in all, a very useful read.

While I couldn't find the actual WH article online, Mr. Cameron does share his tips here



No comments: