Monday, August 31, 2015

Mousies B Gone


Trying something new. We've had a problem with mice in the tack room at Maple Valley for as long as I've been there. One year they ate one of our bath sponges. One year they chewed a hole in Katie's nicest Western show pad. That made me really angry. 

We've had traps. Spring traps. Sticky traps.
We've let the cats into the tack room.
One fall a couple of years ago I bought one of those electronic things that once plugged in to an outlet emits a noise that only the mice can hear. Supposedly they don't like the noise and stay away. It worked in our garage. But it didn't work in the tack room.

This week, I got Stay Away. Natural pest prevention. "Guaranteed to prevent and control pests in the spaces you live, work and play," it says.


It's made with an odor that is offensive to rodents, but pleasant to people. I have to admit, I like its fresh balsam fir scent, and whatever is in the bag looks like potpourri. Right now the bag is strategically placed on the floor in between the bookcase (which always has poopy evidence of mice) and the big plastic boxes that I keep my horsey stuff in in lieu of a tack trunk. 

The bag has only been in place a couple of days, so I haven't checked for mousy evidence yet. Figured I'd do that when I need some excitement this weekend.

It's supposed to be good for 30 days. If it works, I'll happily spend another $4.99 on a new bag. Just spotting its little label each day makes me want to say in a low, menacing voice toward the recesses of the tack room ... Stay. Away. Rodent. Except my barnmates might wonder about me.




No comments: