Monday, November 30, 2015

Grooming night


At some point between leaving work, going home to let the dogs out, and arriving at the barn, my energy level hit tock bottom tonight. So I decided to make it a Beautification Night for Bestie, and she certainly didn't seem too broken up about not going for a ride. Plus, tomorrow night is the better choice for riding as it looks like temperatures will be in the upper 30s versus the upper 20s that we experienced today. I think that little increase will help with my energy level.

Bestie sort of dozed off on the cross ties while I groomed her. She had rolled outside, and while her turnout sheet had taken the brunt of the mud, she did manage to cake mud on both sides of her neck, her mane, and her knees and hocks. And there was quite a bit packed in her hooves. 

I feel like her feet have all of a sudden gotten quite long and sort of splayed out, particularly in the front, with some rough edges and little cracks. Generally her hooves are picture perfect so I'm not sure what's causing the excess growth and raggedness. It has been a month of temperature ups and downs, plus a mix of dry and wet spells; maybe all of that has had an impact. I checked the calendar and saw with relief that farrier Jen is due to come on Wednesday. Good timing - Bestie will get a pedicure this week, too. :)

No comments: