Saturday, June 25, 2016

Where is June going?



May flew by, June is flying by. By and large, the weather has been AWESOME, and that has meant that Larry at the barn has been able to get hay in. 

Bestie is a big fan of the new hay. We had gotten to the point where last year's hay looked really brown and dry. The horses were eating it, but this fresh cut is a big hit. Between being out on grass and the arrival of the new hay, she's had a few gassy spells. Probably brought on by the fact that she's not a girl who ever says, "Oh, none for me, thanks. I'm full."

Our lesson schedule has gotten a bit topsy turvy because I was out of town at the end of May, and out of town again over Father's Day weekend. It was nice that Paula rode her those two weekends. 

The week before I left in June, she seemed a little funky. I had ridden her on Sunday, and she was great. Then I went to ride Tuesday, and she seemed kind of stiff in the hind end. The next day she seemed better, but I decided to lunge her for a couple minutes - didn't notice anything. On Thursday I rode, but just at the walk. We went down to the big arena; she seems to like the deep footing in there.

Paula rode her on Saturday while I was gone and said she was great. Who knows about the mystery funkiness. Maybe she was a little stiff and ouchy while in heat. I've only ridden twice this week. Looking forward to my lesson tomorrow and getting back in the swing of things.

A great article - Aging Gracefully, on trailridermag.com

No comments: