Thursday, November 10, 2016

Still picking at Bestie's legs

The weird follicle things I described in the last post are still popping up on Bestie's lower legs. It's making me kind of crazy.

Every other day when I visit the barn, I've taken to dousing the back of her legs just below her fetlock with Fungasol and really scrubbing the area. So far she's had the big spot that fell off when the farrier flicked it, and four or five other smaller spots; I think there's been at least one on each leg.

Then today I found a spot up higher on her right front leg. Grrr. I scrubbed it, just a small one, with Fungasol and it broke apart, which is typically what happens with the yucky things. I never see blood, just a greasy waxiness mixed with a little hair. After the scrubbing, I dab either Corona or 3-way antibiotic cream on the spot. There was one today that didn't break apart, and she let me know when to stop picking at it by continually lifting her leg out of reach from my crouched position next to her.

When I picked one off last weekend, it left a little bare spot. I couldn't find the spot today, so I guess the hair does come back in.

I keep searching online to see if I can read up on this condition, but I haven't found anything so far.

Other than picking at her legs, I handwalked her down the road and did the tail pulling for her stifles. She was great on the road - she did her usual whinny to announce her presence as we got to the road, then strolled along. Coming back up the hill to the barn, she broke into a little jog, and she looked fine. I think I'll try a short ride when I go out this weekend.

No comments: