Monday, April 21, 2008

Starting at the beginning

Last fall I became the caregiver for my daughters' two horses, Dude and Bestie. This happened because my younger daughter Maddie lost interest in riding and my older daughter Katie went away to college. People who aren't horse people immediately say, "Well, why didn't you sell them?" Meaning the horses, not the daughters, of course. (Horse people would probably suggest selling the daughters.)

The quick answer is that the horses have become part of the family. We've had Dude for seven years. He came into our lives when my older daughter was in the sixth grade, and to me he represents the life transitions that she has faced in the incredible period of growing up that occurs between age 11 and age 19. Bestie arrived for my younger daughter in April 2005. A loving, funny mare with strong opinions, she basically is the equine incarnation of Maddie. Lots of clashes, lots of tears, but also plenty of successes and teamwork with the two of them. My worry with her is that in different hands, her stubborn streak could be harshly punished.

The horses are boarded at a barn a half hour from our house and have been for several years. Inconvenient, yes, but it's a good place that is well run and full of nice people. Another thing horse people understand is that if the ponies ain't happy, the owners ain't happy. I think the reverse is also true.

I decided to start this blog to document my adventures with the ponies. I really should've started it last fall when Katie left for school, but sometimes creative ideas take a while to germinate! I hope anyone who stumbles upon it will share their thoughts.

No comments: