Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Attack of the killdeer

I had Dude out handgrazing today and was just starting to relax after manhandling him through the indoor arena (strutting trot combined with lots of "look at me going outside" snorting). All of a sudden a killdeer does this piercing call, seemingly right at his hooves. I jumped a mile. Dude didn't blink an eye. I guess he had seen it pretending to be hurt in the grass and was just planning on eating around it. The killdeer kept doing its thing, frantically dragging its faux hurt wing around and loudly shrieking. I know they're supposed to sound like "killdeer, killdeer," but this one just sounded like "KEE KEE KEE." Dude kept eating. He was probably within two feet of it when the killdeer seemingly figured out its routine wasn't working and got up to scoot over to its mate about 20 feet away. Dude rolled his eyes in its direction as it departed but never picked his head up from the grass.

No comments: