Monday, September 22, 2008

Whilrwind week with another to come

I absolutely hate it when I can't get on and post for a week or more. I've been pretty busy at work, and while I've made it to the barn every day, the hours at home have been just too short (or too late at night) to get on the computer.

No after effects from the vet's visit; that was a relief. We've had enough post-shot huge bumps on both horses for me to be a little worried. I don't know if the flu/rhino and Potomac don't usually produce reactions, or if the three days of bute kept a reaction beaten back.

Last week I felt like I really short-changed the ponies because I had to go to NYC for the day, then the next night was my book club, and then on Friday, my usual day off where I spend a lot of time at the barn, I had to go in to work. I squeezed in a couple of lunges, but no riding. On Saturday we decided to take advantage of the beautiful fall weather and hike Mount Mansfield, so I ran to the barn late and then went on to hockey. Sunday I filled in for an absent mucker and really didn't feel like working Dude or Bestie. They both went out in the morning, came in for a bran mash and their leftover hay, and hung out in their stalls the rest of the day. I felt bad.

This week's not looking much better, time-wise. Ugh. It's on these busy days that the half hour drive is painful. At least they are getting outside since the weather has been fabulous. I just always feel bad when I can't spend the time with them that I want to.

Good news: I was able to buy some excellent extra hay to keep on hand for munchie moments during the winter. I've got six bales and may pick up a few more. Usually we only feed about about a bale a month, since it's "snack hay" and the barn provides their main meals as part of board.

No comments: