Thursday, September 25, 2008

The whirlwind week continues

On Tuesday I had some time after work so I lunged Bestie and rode Dude. Bestie had her angry eyes on because after standing in her stall since coming in around 11:30, she wanted to be OUT. So she whizzed around me a few times on the lunge line but then settled down. She's pretty smart; I'm sure she started to think, "You know, a little bit of cooperation might buy me a few minutes of handgrazing after this lunging thing." And it did.

Dude was a good boy. I rode in in Katie's saddle but put Bestie's English snaffle on him. I still have to wrestle with his curb bit, so I'm not really using it at all. He's better in the English snaffle than he is in the Western snaffle. I guess there's just a few more attachments and more control. We rode around the field and the rings. He tried to get away with following another rider back to the barn, but gave in when I wouldn't. He can be a pill but his fits are usually not too long-lasting or dramatic.

Yesterday was a buzz-through-the-barn day, since I had to take Maddie to DMV, then to a quick dinner out and hockey for me right down the street from DMV. We basically ran into the barn and she pulled each horse out to graze while I mucked their stalls and refilled their water buckets. We were in and out in 40 minutes. What a team! And she got her license! Tonight will be another quick night because there's an open house at her school. Sigh.

No comments: