Sunday, November 9, 2008

A short but happy ride

Rode Bestie on Friday. I had lunged her on Thursday night so that she could get her inner bronc out, but she was actually pretty good. Only a couple of head tosses in my direction, like she was saying, "You know, I could really run if I wanted to, but I'm just not into it tonight. But I could if I wanted to."

We rode around in the indoor for a few minutes. Amazingly, no one else was riding; that hardly ever occurs, especially now that the barn is full with about 30 horses. We negotiated through a couple of passes by the door to the outdoors, where she wanted to head directly out and I said, "No, not quite yet." She's so funny. You can just feel her settle down when you're consistent in your reply to whatever it is she wants. We had a couple of good slow trots around the indoor. When she's doing her little Western jog, she is just so smoooooth. I keep trying to get her to take it further and further, but it's like a little bell goes off and there's no more slow jog. She gets faster and faster and then gets all frazzled. I'm not sure how to get over this hump.

So after nice stretch of s-l-o-w, we went outside and walked around the field. I'd much rather end on a good note so both of us are happy. And on a 50 degree-plus day, I too would much rather be outside than in the indoor.

No comments: