Sunday, December 7, 2008

Fun and frazzle--it's definitely December!

Usually I make time on the weekends to spend a good chunk of time at the barn. I don't get to do that during the week, when my visits are generally hit and run, and I really enjoy just taking my time and not rushing through taking care of the horses. I thought I'd be able to linger yesterday ... nope. I had to clean the house, get some holiday decorations up, then had a haircut scheduled, and by the time I got to the barn it was 4 pm and I was due at a holiday party at 6 pm. So Maddie helped me to do a quick graze of Dude and Bestie (at least they are now getting turned out since the ground has hardened up). She took off, and I stayed to muck their stalls and clean out their feet before changing clothes to head to the festivities at a boarder's house about 10 minutes from the barn.

While I was at the barn, one boarder was hanging around watching her horse, who had a little colic episode earlier in the day. He hadn't pooped and she needed to run home and clean up and get her dish ready for the same party I was heading to. Of course, not 15 minutes after she'd left, he pooped, so I called her house and shared the good news. It is nerve wracking when they've colicked, but the sense of relief and joy on the part of all nearby horse owners once the long-awaited poop appears always makes me laugh.

The party was a lot of fun. One of our fellow boarders hosts it every year in early December and the spread of food is simply amazing. We all await Paul's famous spicy shrimp appetizer all year, and there are lots of other goodies to enjoy as well. Jen's fudgy brownies with peppermint chunks, Stephanie's bacon-wrapped water chestnuts ... yum, yum! It's just really nice to chat with people that you see pretty much every day, but generally don't have much time to shoot the breeze with while at the barn.

So my vow for today is to linger at the barn. But first, Maddie and I are heading to the International Festival, a fun little shopping and eating extravaganza that is held every year locally. Lots of good food and unique stuff to buy. Then off to the barn for the afternoon!

No comments: