Monday, December 8, 2008

The weather in VT - gotta love it

Yesterday the temperature hovered at just south of 30 degrees for the better part of the day, then plummeted at night. When I got up today, it was 2 degrees. TWO DEGREES! That's January weather, not December weather. Our hardy barn workers turned the horses out. When I went to the barn after work, someone reported that with the wind chill, the temperature had been more like -16. Yikes! I walked Dude and Bestie in the indoor just to loosen them up a bit, and even Bestie didn't seem too interested in going outside to graze, which has been our routine of late. Dude was still working on his lunchtime flake, which he hadn't had time to eat before getting turned out in the afternoon. Hay, the great distractor. They both seemed very happy to munch on their hay and eat their grain as I mucked their stalls, rubbed down their legs, and picked their feet out.

It's supposed to be anywhere from -5 to 5 degrees tonight, then, get this, it's supposed to climb into the high 30s tomorrow. I hate the see-sawing temperatures; I just don't adjust well. I'm fine if it gets cold and stays cold (although I do get sick of hat head :)), but when it boomerangs back and forth I just never feel warm. We get two days of upper 30s, then back into the 20s with temps in the teens at night. Ugh. Brrr. It'd be nice if we could at least get some snow with those temps. Dude got his winter shoes on his front hooves on Friday, so we're all set for play time in the snow.

No comments: