Monday, June 1, 2009

Afterglow gone, poof!

Went to the barn late tonight since I got home late from work. We probably got there around 6:30, so Dude and Bestie had eaten their grain around five and were still munching on hay. Katie and I both decided to ride; I've got a hockey game tomorrow so didn't want to put off riding until tomorrow.

It took me four attempts to get on Bestie. She kept walking off as soon as I would reach the top of the mounting block. The third time I walked her around the whole indoor, then came back to the mounting block for another try. I managed to get on (barely) as she walked off, not as quickly as before, so I was able to sling my right leg over her back and clamber on board. Ha.

She was worked up about something. Who knows what? Irritation at being ridden after her "usual" time? Being in the ring with two geldings? She kept breaking into a trot and I'd coax her back to a walk, and then the cycle would start again. Trot, walk, trot, walk. Finally I could feel her relax and she settled down. But she was no way near as relaxed as she was this weekend when we headed outside to go around the rings. But she wasn't bad. Bad is when I start to feel stressed out just being on her, and I've had enough of those rides to recognize one pretty quickly.

No comments: