Wednesday, May 5, 2010

More issues with Dude

Dude just appears determined to cause trouble. His old neighbor Jonah moved back into the stall next door after time away training in the South, and they shared a few ugly faces through the chicken wire before settling down. During one of the ugly face-making sessions, I happened to be across the aisle in Bestie's stall when I heard a crash, like a kick, against the wooden wall. I didn't really think too much of it until I went over to Dude's stall to groom him and noticed he was favoring his back right foot.

I got him out and walked him and the strange thing was that he would walk a few steps and then go gimpy, walk a few steps, then go gimpy. It wasn't consistent at all. I hosed his back leg down, which he didn't like, and after debating with myself, told Larry to go ahead and turn him out in the morning since I figured he would NOT be happy and would likely cause more trouble for himself stewing inside. I gave him bute.

The next day I called in to see if I should come by the barn, and Larry said he looked better. And was behaving outside; always nice to hear. So I waited until after work to go by, and he did look fine. Granted he had two doses of bute since it had occurred, but I expected to see at least a little limp given how bad he had been the previous evening when he went "off."

The kick happened on Saturday. It's now Wednesday and I'm considering taking him off the bute to see how he does. He's apparently had a pretty quiet few days outside, and I haven't ridden him. So we'll see.

No comments: