Wednesday, April 28, 2010

If you don't like the weather...

wait (fill in short time period of choice), it'll change. The old saw about Vermont's weather held true this week. On Monday I rode Bestie on a nice leisurely stroll out to the ring and around it a couple of times, both of us just enjoying the sunshine and warm temperatures and taking in the welcome sights of trees leafing out (me) and grass greening (Bestie). On Tuesday I got up and by 8:30 am it was snowing, hard. And it snowed and it snowed and it snowed right through until about 2 pm today, Wednesday. I think here at home we got about ten inches. I never did measure, but it was over my snow boots and not quite up to the top of Maddie's tall rain boots. It was a lot of snow. Especially for April. LATE April, aaaarrrgh.

The horses did not go out during the storm. That was certainly fine, it was pretty crazy; not very good visibility and lots of wind. When I got to the barn yesterday, Dude was crazy to get out. There wasn't really anywhere to go except to trek across the driveway to the indoor and walk him around in there. He rolled, and that made him happy.

Same story today, except that we had the indoor to ourselves for a period of time and I let him off the lead and let him run around. Not that he ran much, he was more intent on prancing up to me and snorting, like he wanted to play. I ran backwards and he ran along behind me, snorting and hopping. When he'd get too close, I'd get nervous and make him stop. He has no concept of personal space, so I do get a little nervous when he's hopping around right next to me. Then we pushed the giant exercise ball around for a bit. I really wished I had my camera. The first time I kicked it to him, he stood there, with his ears all cock-eyed, staring kind of perplexedly at it. I'd kick it at him, and he'd push it with his nose. Never back to me, oh no. Usually in some completely random direction and then he'd look at it and then at me like "Huh. Why is it going THAT way??"

All that play time took the edge off, somewhat. He was still pretty antsy as I brushed him on the cross ties, but settled down once I put him back in his stall with a flake of hay.

After I got him taken care of I mucked out Bestie's stall and took her into the indoor. I could tell she really wanted to roll, but there was a jumping lesson going on and we just couldn't get the roll timed with when the other horse wouldn't be coming around headed toward a jump. All in all, she was really good as I walked her around and pulled her over a couple times so as not to be in the way of the lesson. She's much more accepting of confinement than Dude is. Even if they don't go out tomorrow, I think I'll be able to graze them as the snow is melting pretty quickly. And with yoga cancelled for tomorrow, I'll have more time than I usually do on my typically rushed Thursdays.

No comments: