Friday, November 5, 2010

Rider aches and pains

When I got on Dude several weeks ago to test out my knee I thought for a minute about how it felt to him once I got in the saddle. Right from the get-go it was clear that I wasn't really balanced (if I ever am!) because I couldn't hold my right leg in the same position as my left. I've got some muscle tightness issue going on related to my knee, although I've definitely noticed an improvement in recent weeks.

Then I came across this article about being a relaxed rider on HolisticHorse.com and found it really interesting. So much to think about when you ride, and the fact that there may be some slight imbalance that you don't even notice but that can be felt by your horse.

When I read the tip in the article about using two scales to detect leg heaviness, of course I had to run around the house and find two scales. Turns out I'm 5-7 pounds heavy on my right leg. It actually came as no surprise to me (well, the range of weight did!), because when I ride I've noticed that I put more weight on the right stirrup. I guess the first step is to be conscious of it, and second step is to correct. A friend of mine told me she's working with a physical therapist to correct some posture issues that impact her riding. We're talking at the barn about finding some one locally to come in and do a few clinics and something on balance and posture analysis might be useful.

No comments: