Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday

Monday. Enough said? Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's ok. This particular one was coming off a weekend where I felt I didn't have enough down time. And the day itself was busy. And I stopped at the grocery store prior to the barn so I was running later than usual. AND it's Katie's long day at work, so I usually do both the horses. This is all called "setting the scene."

Turnout has been a bit sketchy lately due to the wet weather making a mess of the fields. The barn folk helpfully send an email when the horses have to stay in. I checked my email late morning; no note from the barn. Got to the barn and - surprise! - found them in; the note had been sent at 2 pm. I had really wanted to ride Bestie, but now was faced with getting both of them out to shake off a day in the stall, and horsey responsibilities were battling with visions of the fillet of salmon I had just purchased for a nice dinner. The whole scene made me very cranky.

I got Dude out first as he is the most vocal about the terrible injustice of being in for the day. We headed out to the round pen, where he trotted around snorting and tossing his head just to make sure everyone knew that really, he should've been outside all day. Then we handgrazed for a few minutes. The grass really hasn't grown very long, so grazing options are a bit slim, but it was enough to make him happy, and how could I not smile at the gusto with which he attacked the new grass? Then I got Bestie out to lunge her, and she trotted around so slowly, it was like she was a thousand years old. I had to laugh at that - you just never know whether a day inside will set up bucking bronco Bestie or oh-this-is-so-much-work Bestie. After lunging, we went out so she could get a few mouthfuls of grass. When we came back in, Dude had his head out over his stall guard like he was waiting for us; once Bestie got resettled in her stall, he went back to his hay.

As cranky as I can be upon arrival, I never leave the barn that way. Making them happy with a bit of grass, cleaning the stalls, and leaving to the sounds of contented hay munching - impossible to be unhappy when all is right in the horses' little world.

No comments: