Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A night at the barn

I was looking forward to riding Bestie tonight as I hadn't had time to ride since Saturday. Despite heavy, paddock-soaking rains yesterday, they had gone out today, so I breathed a sigh of relief that I could just saddle her up and go. If they haven't gone out I feel bad, so I tend to graze her first and then ride. No need for that tonight, especially as a girl at the barn mentioned that they had just come in when I arrived at 5 pm. A good long day outdoors, as they usually get out around 6 am. (Whoever would've thought that Dude, Mr. Hothouse Flower, would last ALL day outside??!)

I rode in the indoor, solo. Someone had left a couple low poles set up, so it was fun to trot her over those and use them to do different patterns. She was good, kind of sluggish at the start, but overall nice and relaxed; she didn't get too speedy toward the end of the ride like she normally does when she has had enough. Her 20-minute timer didn't go off tonight for whatever reason. :)

When we returned to the barn I noticed that Dude was still hanging out at his open door and he hadn't eaten any hay, which is odd for him. He had also dragged a bunch of it and strewn it all along his back wall, which is usually a sign that he's not thrilled with it. I sniffed it and patted it to check for dust and mold, and it seemed fine. I threw a bunch in Bestie's stall, and she wouldn't touch it either. Strange. When I went and got him a new flake, he dove right in. I ended up tossing most of the first batch in the spreader, and I felt bad because it seemed fine, but I wasn't going to leave it in there for him to stomp it all into his shavings and make a mess.

No comments: