Thursday, June 7, 2012

So much for not watching horse racing anymore

It took me a while to watch any horse races after the whole horrific accident involving filly Eight Belles.

I don't know what drew me back in this year. I watched the Derby and the Preakness with my heart pounding, hoping that everyone, horses and jockeys, would end up at the finish safely. But what a fun year to be watching, with I'll Have Another coming from behind and going for the Triple Crown. Of course I want him to  win. I feel like it's about time - it's been a l-o-n-g time - I was a junior in high school when Affirmed won all three.

Thinking about the Belmont drew me in to watching some of Affirmed's races online. I had totally forgotten about Steve Cauthen being the jockey. The Kid - he was 18; I think at the time I was following the jockey more than the horse, given how close in age we were. Poking around while trying to refresh my memory about Affirmed, I found a great site, http://www.derbylegends.com/, that has footage of  incredible races, including Secretariat's Belmont win. Watching that race footage always brings me to tears it's just so amazing.

Hoping we have another legend in the making.

No comments: