Monday, May 5, 2008

The Derby

After watching the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, I wanted to drive right back to the barn and give Dude and Bestie a big hug. The breakdown and euthanization of filly Eight Belles right after the race was just so sad.

I always watch the Derby, actually any race, with trepidation. On the one hand, the horses are so beautiful going to the gate, and galloping down the home stretch. But I absolutely hate the whole part as they come out of the gate and start fighting for position. I watch it with my heart pounding, willing everyone, horses and riders, to stay upright and safe. And now, after watching--actually 'imagining' is more like it since they didn't show it on camera--Eight Belles' breakdown right after the race, it makes me want to never to watch a race again.

It's that powerful combination of athleticism and beauty cut down by lightening-quick blink-of-an-eye tragedy that makes me feel so sad. The vision of an animal giving its all, and then dead a few minutes later, the victim of a horrible accident. It seems like her death is generating a lot of questions about horse racing (again). I just hope that everyone involved in the sport from breeding to training to facilities to races tries to make it as safe as possible for the horses and their riders.

No comments: