Saturday, July 26, 2008

All alone for barn duty

Katie is out of town this weekend, so I had barn duty. I went over around two so that I could ride Bestie and get her taken care of while Dude was still outside. We rode in the indoor for about twenty minutes, doing circles and serpentines at the walk. She's so funny; right about 15 minutes into it she tried to go into the center of the ring and stop. She definitely has her own agenda. But she was ok when I just calmly asked her to keep walking.

We had one nice slow jog about a quarter of the way around. I asked her a couple more times, trying to sit deep and keep the reins loose. The second attempt was a little faster, and the third was even faster, but not as fast as she can be. I just would love to do a nice slow jog all the way around the indoor ... someday. I don't push it, since it's clear that doesn't work with her. I just stop her when she gets going too fast, wait a while, and ask again. When we went outside to go around the mowed field, she was about as calm as I've seen her.

When I went out to grab Dude from his pasture and let him graze a bit in the walkway, he was definitely ready to come in. Can't say I blame him; the flies were terrible back by the paddocks. I had grazed Bestie in front of the outdoor arenas, and the flies weren't bad at all there, which is strange, since the spaces are only separated by a 100 yards or so. I only grazed him for about 10 minutes. He had some welts on his back from bites, poor guy. Had to rinse both their fly masks. It appeared there had been some serious mud rolling going on.

No comments: