Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The importance of a good brush

Many years ago we bought a set of brushes for horse shows, thinking that they'd stay nice and clean and in good shape since they'd only be used during shows. I think I've mentioned them before; they were from the Chamisa Ridge catalog. I have to say that set of brushes was one of our better horse purchases. They did last well, they were priced reasonably, and we still have them. Except for the lovely goat's hair soft brush, which mysteriously went missing last year. (Along with the lunge whip, but that's another story.)

The goat's hair brush was particularly perfect after the animal psychic told us that Bestie has sensitive skin. Indeed, she never seemed to be a horse that particularly liked being groomed. Dude, on the other hand, practically can doze off when on the cross ties getting groomed. Bestie just shifts, and prances, and just doesn't seem to enjoy it. So I figured, that's an easy one, if the horse psychic says Bestie likes a soft brush, well then, I'll brush her with a soft brush.

But then it went missing. And rather than going out and getting a new one, I dragged out a soft nylon brush to use. But last week I was in the tack shop and suddenly decided to get another soft natural hair brush. And Bestie loves it. And I love it. It's just so smoooooth when you use it, and leaves such a nice sheen. Why did it take me so long to replace the other one? I don't know. But maybe the horse psychic was checking in with her "contacts" and Bestie complained. Maybe that's what prompted the new purchase. Who knows?

No comments: