Wednesday, July 16, 2008

-ing verbs: lungeing, bucking, jigging, biting, (not) relaxing

Yesterday Katie and I went to the barn. We had agreed ahead of time that it would a riding day, since due to the heat, me being out of town, and other reasons/excuses, neither horse had been ridden in about a week. Clearly I needed to lunge (longe?) Bestie first. I got her all saddled up and then got her going on the line. After a few funny crowhops, she settled right into a a nice little Western jog. It made me a bit worried that she was saving her energy for when I got on her back.

Katie actually went out to the outdoor ring and rode while I was lungeing, so basically she was done when I was ready to get on, but she took pity on me and agreed to go around the field. She mentioned that Dude had actually bucked, a rare occurence. A bug-related buck? "No, I think it was an enthusiastic buck when I asked him to canter." Oh,ok.

Bestie had definitely saved herself for the ride around the field, walking like a speed demon and breaking into a trot several times. The bugs were awful. Katie and I didn't actually ride together since after a few minutes I ended up way ahead. Pulling on the reins just made Bestie toss her head and jig. I got so far ahead that Dude got irritated and started jumping around a bit, so Katie was a little cranky with me when we got back to the barn. Not exactly the relaxing little trip around the field we had envisioned.

No comments: