Thursday, January 1, 2009

Salt

A funny thing happened tonight. The barn muckers had the day off, so the stalls were pretty messy by the time Katie and I got to the barn around 4 pm. I decided to put Bestie in an empty stall across the aisle, just so I'd have more room to maneuver. I wasn't paying too much attention to her as I worked, but I soon realized that very energetic slurping noises were coming from across the aisle. There had been a salt block left in the stall by the previous occupant and Bestie was totally going to town on the thing. I ended up moving her back into her own stall because she showed no signs of letting up and I was kind of worrying that she might be getting a bit too much in her enthusiasm for it.

We haven't given her salt or electrolytes in quite a while since she is on a pretty laid back work plan. Now I'm wondering if I need to. People at the barn have been going on and on about the Himalayan salt licks, which are cool looking and apparently less likely to break up because they are very hard. Also kind of fun to visualize one catalog's description of the yaks of the Himalayas toting all these salt licks down from the mountains for the ponies of the world :). One more thing to think about. I see some Googling in my future :).

No comments: