Thursday, January 29, 2009

BIg changes coming for the ponies (and Horse Mom)

On February 28, Dude and Bestie will move to a new home. I've been casting about for an alternative to our current barn for quite a while, mainly because it is fairly pricey and because the horses aren't doing much (meaning I'M not doing much with THEM!)--it was beginning to seem a little fiscally irresponsible. But, and it's a big BUT, I didn't want to just switch them ANYWHERE. They get excellent care in our current barn and we've all been very happy there. So my wish list consisted of 1) same level of care; 2) cheaper price; 3)closer to home and 4) more flexible turnout.

Did pretty well on the wish list. I heard about the new barn from a boarder at the current barn who is going there. It turned out that it's the same barn that a former 4H member had called and told me about maybe a month or two ago. I went and looked at it last Friday, went back on Sunday, and made my decision Sunday night. That is simply amazing for me, because I tend to think and think and think...

But after I visited the barn twice, I just had this overwhelming feeling of happiness and relief. I think I didn't realize how worried I actually was about the horses and keeping them in a nice barn without breaking the bank. As the economy worsens, and we see it hitting more and more very close to home (with friends getting laid off), I felt I needed to do something. So this is the best of all worlds ... cheaper, closer to my current employment, more laid-back atmosphere for both horses and humans, and more turnout. SIGH OF RELIEF. And three of the people whom I talk to MOST at the current barn are also going. And our farrier will go there. All the stars aligned!

Beautiful huge snowstorm yesterday! I'm at work, but am mentally picturing the horses enjoying the fresh snow.

No comments: