Saturday, April 11, 2009

Gone but back, sun, grass, cows

A wide ranging entry! This week I had to go to a conference for a couple days, which was a bit nerve wracking as regards the ponies because Maddie was working and couldn't get up to the barn to make sure everything was ok. Everything did turn out just fine, but still, I thought about them quite a bit!

The night before I left was a little crazy because my car went into the shop for brake work, and the mechanics didn't get it done until after 6:00. That put me at the barn at about 7:00, and I got out of there about 8:30 after walking them both, picking out their stalls, and filling their water buckets. Yawn. But I got home in time to see most of the UConn women's game ... yay! ... to watch them win BIG! Go Huskies!

I went straight to the barn after the conference on Thursday and got there at about 5:00 in order to put Dude and Bestie outside for an hour. Thursday was a gorgeous sunny day, as was Friday, as was today!! Love it! When I went to bring Bestie in today, I walked around the field adjacent to hers, and there's quite a bit of grass coming up. I guess all those days of rain did pay off.

Yesterday I sat in the barn and watched Dude on patrol against the apparently very scary cows across the road. At least he no longer runs around like an idiot when he sees them. When they come around the corner of their barn he sort of does a circle in his field, an "I'm not very happy about this" circle. None of the other horses pay any attention. Then he stands stock still, fixedly staring at the cows, ears perked, until a) they go away or b) I go out to bring him in to the barn. Occasionally he'll do a few little "I'm really quite aggravated" circles.

I'd love to be inside his head ( speaking of scary :) ) to know what he's thinking. But I've decided after my many minutes of observation yesterday that it seems as though he feels he needs to keep an eye on those cows because no one else is, and if he didn't, well, what would happen if those cows suddenly decided to cross the road? All hell would break loose, that's what, so best to be on the lookout.

No comments: