Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rain, rain, rain, and more rain

This is unbelievable: the forecasters are calling for one to three inches of rain between now (Wednesday) and Friday. What a wet soppy mess the fields are going to be. There are even flood warnings for certain rivers and creeks; luckily the barn is not located near any water. The horses did go out today as the rain didn't really hit in full force until the afternoon, but I bet they won't go out for the next couple of days. It's supposed to come down pretty hard at times. Yuck.

I've got to add Betadine scrub to my shopping list. We've been using it to periodically scrub out Dude's thrush-prone feet. They've been looking good (HATE to actually put that in writing and tempt fate!), but I think Katie will need to be extra attentive with this weather and with the horses likely to be in and standing around.

I did a really short ride on Bestie last night after lunging her. She was positively in slow-mo on the lunge line, since I brought her in and hooked her up before she got her afternoon snooze. She of course perked up under saddle, but didn't walk off when I was on the mounting block like she did last time. Progress?

A friend called last night to alert me that a stall is opening up at her barn. Unfortunately, one stall just won't work ... I've done the "horses in two different barns" routine and all it does is drive me crazy. Plus, there is no ring or indoor at her barn, they ride in a field. As much as I want a more low-key atmosphere, I don't think I'm ready for that, yet. It was nice that she thought of us though. She is going through a similar thing: daughter leaving for college in the fall, horse part of the family, mom doing the care. We commiserate. I think she's even more of a softie than I am :).

Crazy animal story for the day: a friend has this cat who is definitely large and in charge. She occasionally regales us all with stories of his latest escapades, which are always hysterically funny to those who don't live with him but not so to the very patient family who "owns" him. I'll just say that living room furniture and her husband's clothing have been involved. The latest ... he has taken to peeing on their Keurig coffee brewer. Wow, you have to give him credit for dramatic flair. After consultation with the vet, he is going on kitty Prozac.

No comments: