Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Spontaneity can be hazardous to your cell phone

Rode Dude on Sunday and Monday. I know, very energetic of me. Sunday was ok; I mean, the ride itself was fine, but the periodic gun shots were a bit unnerving. Some sort of hunting season must've started up. The barn land is all posted, but still, it annoys me and freaks me out to hear them. I was telling Kris when I got home about hearing the shots and of course he starts quizzing me. Him: "Well, were they shot guns?" Me: "Like rifle shots, I guess." Him: "How did they sound?" Me: (irritably) "Like GUN SHOTS."

The shots didn't seem to bother Dude, he was more focused on the mooing cows across the road. But I can't help but tense up every time I hear one, so he definitely was feeling my nervousness.

On Monday I got to to the barn early. Grazed Bestie for a while and ran her up and down the path like a crazy woman. Her legs seemed a bit stocked up. I hadn't wrapped her for two nights because her legs had gotten so dandruffy/scurfy (new barn word) and I'd scrubbed her with Betadine two days in a row. But with the stocking up I went back to wrapping, with my fingers crossed that that's all it is and not a return of my dreaded enemy, cellulitis. Today her legs looked much better, so it appears to be swelling from standing around in her stall for a month.

After getting her all set I got on Dude and rode out to the outdoor ring, went around it twice, then headed back to the barn. On the way back I had a brief thought -- wouldn't it be fun to canter across the field -- and Dude broke right into a canter. We yeehawed across the field to the path; very fun. Unfortunately my cell phone popped out of my jacket pocket, which I didn't realize until we got back to the barn. Oops. I walked back out to the field after asking someone to call my number in five or ten minutes. Tried as best I could to retrace our route. Was standing in the field thinking that it would be a miracle if I found the phone when I heard it ringing. There it was, not three feet from where I was standing. Very funny to stand in a field and hear a phone ringing. Even when you know it's yours.

Today was cold with just about every form of precipitation known to mankind. Snow, rain, sleet. Well, no hail (that I saw). Wasn't a great day for extended hand grazing, but I got them out for about 10 minutes this morning and about 20 minutes this afternoon. All the ponies were stallbound today. Hayburners, barnowner Larry called them. Hay=happy horses=no chewing on each other or stall walls.

No comments: