Monday, October 26, 2009

What's new ...

... not much. For days now I have been thinking to myself, "Gee, I gotta get back to the blog," but a whirlwind of activities involving work, hockey games, relatives visiting, book club, yoga, 4H achievement night, husband out of town, blah blah blah have kept me from Horse Mom-ing. Not that much has happened, pony-wise.

Once it became clear that the fields were just not going to dry out, barn owner Larry rigged up two little paddocks right around the indoor for Dude and Bestie. They are perfectly happy there, although I heard that Dude had one meltdown when Bestie was brought in before him, despite the fact that his field is surrounded by the other horses' fields and they were all still out. He is pathetically needy at times. They had a few days of 2-3 hour turnouts because there was quite a bit of grass in those fields, and now they are going out all day.

We had a good stretch of days last week until Saturday, when the rain started again and continued through the night. Sunday everyone stayed in because the fields were so spongy. Last night was cold, which seemed to suck out some of the moisture, so everyone went out today.

I got to the barn around 3:30 to wait for the farrier, a no-show. While waiting I did an excavation of the tack box layers to dig up Dude's winter shoes--labelled, in a little baggie, "Dude's shoes from winter 08-09. Farrier says ok for 09-10." Pretty organized, huh? Only because last winter I had a BIG bag of miscellaneous winter shoes and kept hopefully pulling shoes out as our farrier shook his head at each one, "Nope, that's an OLD one. Wow, that's a REALLY old one. I don't think THAT one even belonged to one of your horses."

After finding the shoes I did a really thorough grooming of both horses since this weekend my visits were a little rushed due to visiting relatives. Lately I have been shocking Bestie when I groom her, which makes her a bit psychotic when I reach out to pat her (understandably). It's wierd, because I don't shock Dude. Poor mare. Between the shocking and me picking burrs out of her forelock, she had a few wild-eyed moments tonight.

No evening activities this week except for yoga Thursday, so I'm hoping to ride. Would be nice!

No comments: