Thursday, March 25, 2010

Couple crazy weeks with not much pony time

The last couple of weeks were b-u-s-y. Katie was home on break for one week, then Maddie was home the second week. Then Katie came back for the final weekend of Maddie's break so we could go to a concert in Montreal-- Bon Jovi, AWESOME! There was also the drive down to get Mads, and a one-nighter in Boston for a Penguins/Bruins game thrown into the mix. Plus all the usual.

All this meant not much time with the ponies, just a lot of rushed visits to the barn to clean them up and muck their stalls. I think I actually did go exactly two weeks without riding or lunging, ughhh. I don't like to have stretches like that. The weather was absolutely glorious over this period, with a batch of sunny days and temps in the upper 40s and 50s. Unfortunately, that also means MUD as the frozen ground softens up.

Their turnout sheets are a mess. After one week I switched to the second turnouts for each of them because the first turnouts were absolutely caked and stiff with mud. It was at the point where it had permeated the sheets, you couldn't brush it off. Believe me, I tried. Now the second turnout sheets are looking just about as bad. I can already see that there's gonna be one of those visits to the laundromat in my future where I skulk in and hope no one sees me, the sheets are that ugly!

I finally did get to ride Dude a couple nights ago, which was nice. He seemed pretty happy about it, too. I lunged Bestie last night. She was pretty good, just a couple little snorts and bucks; not bad at all. Her back right ankle seemed a little swollen Tuesday, but Emma wrapped her and it seems to be coming and going depending on whether they're out or in. They were in for a couple days because the fields were so bad. Today they were out and her ankle looked better.

They got their first spring shot on Monday night and were perfect angels -- you just never know! Totally unpredictable. I think we've got the drill down; the vet just needs to sidle up, not show the needle, give them a couple pats, then quickly do the shot so they never know what hit them. If they see the shot, it's a no-go.

They had the dreaded five-way, dreaded because they have reacted with large lumps at the injection site in the past. Last year they were ok, and this year they were ok. I buted them a couple days prior just in case. Bestie had a small lump the next day, but nothing compared to years' past.

Tomorrow I've got a lesson on Dude, my first in at least two weeks. And they're having their feet done. Wondering if it's time to take Dude's winter shoes off; will have to confer with the farrier. April's inching closer and closer. I'm loving the sunshine!

No comments: