Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rain, rain, go away

Just when the fields looked like they were starting to dry out from snow melt and late winter rain, the rain started again. Ugh, in my book there's nothing worse than cold rain. It started Sunday night, and continued through Monday into today. Looks like some more tomorrow. After that, amazingly, it is supposed to be warm and sunny; actually, let me retype that: sunny and WARM, like, starting at 63 degrees Thursday and heading right up to about 70! Crazy.

With the days of rain, the horses have been in. Not complaining about that, it's definitely my preference since my two wouldn't be happy out there in the rain and wind. But I had to come up with a plan to keep them active; so, I've been alternating. Saturday I lunged Bestie so that I could have a worries-free ride on her Sunday. Monday I rode Dude and did a light lunge of Bestie. Tonight I handwalked Dude (who enjoyed a nice roll in the indoor), then rode Bestie. A light ride since it was a jumping lesson night and the ride was all about avoiding other riders and jumps. Tomorrow, back on Dude -- hopefully; he seemed a little funky at first on his front right and I wondered if he might have a bit of thrush or an abscess going. He seemed ok after the walk, though.

Thursday is probably the only day they'll each get a quick handwalk since I have yoga. With the warm temps coming, I'm hoping the fields will dry out enough by Friday that they can go out. Since Dude just got new shoes last Friday, I certainly don't want him to pull a shoe out in a mucky field. If the fields do dry out this weekend, it's more than likely the cycle will start all over again ... seems that rarely do we get a dry spring in Vermont.

No comments: