Friday, September 10, 2010

Neighbors








These guys recently became residents of the field across the road from the barn, where the sugarhouse is. They are Highland cattle. I love them; they just have the cutest faces and those horns are totally amazing. When we went to the fair a couple weeks ago, there was one getting groomed for showing. The owner had what looked like a leaf blower and he was blowing out the cow's coat, which was positively luxurious, as the cow stood there placidly looking around. Quite the scene. Tonight I felt a little bad taking their picture, because I think they came to the gate because they got all hopeful that it was feeding time.

They arrived on the scene maybe a month ago, when there were a bunch of horses that were temporarily in the same field. These were a group of horses that were unaffiliated with our barn. In fact, they were tough-guy horses, big drafts for the most part, and they stayed out 24/7 eating the scrub, unlike the prince and princess ponies in the barn who get brought in and out every day, and get treats, and grain and hay on a regular schedule. I wish I had taken their picture. They were so big and muscular that I imagined them staring across the road at the barn horses in their paddocks and thinking, "Pansies. We could so kick their butts."

But back to the Highland cattle. One night there was a bad storm, and the furry cows disappeared. They had broken through the fence in a corner of the field, and barn owner Larry finally tracked them down at a neighbors' place. The tough horses left one day, so the Highlands have the big field to themselves. I'm happy they're back. Just something cool and cute to check out on my daily barn trips.

1 comment:

JennyB said...

I agree, those guys are cool! I just love the sheepdog look on the first one. I wonder if they use all that hair for spinning yarn and such?

~~JennyB, Horsefeathers