Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Confinement stinks...

... but so does standing outdoors in mud. The horses have been in since Saturday due to the conditions in the fields. It's been a very warm November, and I'm hoping December will usher in some seasonable temperatures. We had a little stretch of cold a couple weeks ago, but over the last week we've seen temperatures in the 50s and even in the 60s - crazy warm for Vermont. It hasn't rained that much, but it has rained a bit, and I think that combined with the little freeze-thaw cycle was enough to do in the fields.

Dude and Bestie have been remarkably low-key during the confinement. Dude in particular usually gets quite angry when confined to his stall, but he hasn't been bad at all. Perhaps because everyone else- meaning his buddies - is hanging out too. Tonight there was no one in the indoor so I let him loose, and he did a buck that was pretty impressive for a horse who normally gets his back end about a foot off the ground. It was quite the wild bronco, back twisting, disgusting-noises-from-the posterior kind of buck. Then he ran about 3 steps, stopped, and looked at me like, "Whew, got THAT out of my system."

After I brought him in I put Bestie on the lunge line. I tried to get her to romp, but all she would do was a pathetic shuffle-trot, so I just had her walk for about 10 minutes. I was definitely expecting them to want to run off some energy. You just never know.

No comments: