Monday, November 7, 2011

Ugh, November

I suppose that technically our November hasn't been too bad. It started off kind of ugly, with snow Halloween weekend, then some up and down temperatures and some rain. But we're currently enjoying a series of sunny days with fairly warm days. If you don't have horses, it's awesome. But with horses, the problem is that the early wetness made the fields muddy, and it's not warm enough to really dry them out.

Dude's field seems to have dried a bit in the last couple days, since he's not coming in with mud up to his pasterns anymore. But Bestie, who is definitely more of a swamp monster anyway, is still coming in with mud plastered up to her hocks. Yesterday it was warm enough that I took her out and hosed her legs and scrubbed them with Betadine. I feel like every fall I deal with scratches, particularly with Dude. Can't actually remember Bestie ever having them. But the scratches are such a pain to deal with I'm being extra vigilant and trying to keep their legs clean. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle, though. Rain in the forecast for Thursday means the mud will appear again in the fields. Ugh, November. Waiting impatiently for snow cover!


No comments: