Sunday, November 13, 2011

A visit to the Equine Affaire

This weekend I enjoyed a wonderful couple of days at the Equine Affaire in Massachusetts. It worked out perfectly because I had to be in Boston for a work-related function Thursday night, and once that was over I jumped on the Massachusetts turnpike to head to Springfield. A bunch of people from our barn were driving down on Friday, so I was able to meet up with them.

When the girls were still showing I think we visited the Equine Affaire at least 3 years in a row. These trips were always great fun with really informative clinics and tons of shopping. This trip was no different; in fact, it was hard to cram everything into the day and a half of time I had there. I really enjoyed presentations on riding skills by Hollie McNeil of Riding Right Farm in New York and veterinarian Chris Bessent on acupuncture; each of their sessions provided lots of food for thought.

The seminars are just so energizing. I get caught up in all the busyness at home, and taking the time to attend the Equine Affaire and listen to so many informative speakers helps me step out of the "rush to the barn, have a ride or half hour lesson" tunnel vision and think about the bigger goal of improving my riding and establishing a partnership with my horse. What a wonderful luxury, to only think about horse-related things during this day and a half!

Over the weekend I ran into some faces from the past; friends from previous barns that I'd lost touch with but so enjoyed catching up with at the EA. And Friday night, our group from my current barn went out to dinner and had a wonderful meal and great time laughing and talking. So nice to spend some time with these great people outside of the usual quick few minutes chatting in the aisle at the barn.

And the shopping ... I bought a new saddle pad - a lovely Professional's Choice pad in the right size and thickness for Ms. Bestie; I rode tonight, and I may be crazy, but the whole feel of being in the saddle was different :). I also got Ariat paddock boots - I'd been wearing Maddie's old boots and the zippers have started to pop open (after 7 years of heavy wearing - not bad). And odds-n-ends like Lexol leather cleaning wipes, Sore No More salve, Cowboy Magic leave-in conditioner, a Himalayan salt block. The EA is truly one-stop shopping for every possible need related to horses. Oh, and I got lovely Sanita clogs, at $50 a real steal.

Bestie modeling her new pad ... she was a bit impatient with the photo-taking session and is rather pointedly looking at her stall door, having just come off a ride and eager to get into her stall for dinner.



No comments: