Monday, January 4, 2016

Never a dull moment with Vermont weather




The key thing to notice in this photo is the big fat 0. As in Zero Degrees. I feel like I completely dodged a bullet having my lesson yesterday when the temperature was a balmy 33 degrees. It always blows my mind when the temperatures drops so precipitously. 28 degrees last night when I went to bed at 10 pm. 3 degrees when I woke up this morning. Wow.

The barn folk wisely decided not to turn the horses out today. The wind chill was sub zero, and most likely they would have gotten the horses all out, only to start bringing them in again. The prince and princess ponies don't last too long in this kind of weather, especially with any wind. They were probably plenty happy in the warm barn.

Bestie certainly seemed content. When I got to the barn a bit after 6 pm, she barely looked up from her hay when I said hello. Despite her lack of enthusiasm, I took her out to the indoor so she could at least stretch her legs. She rolled and then wandered around the front of the indoor checking out the lunge lines and crops hanging from the front hooks, the wheelbarrow with manure (frozen) in it, and the always fascinating corner full of jump poles, standards, and jump box with the artificial flowers in the top, 

While she was doing her tour, I occupied myself by raking the footing away from one side wall. Doing that was enough to warm me up pretty well. Then I clipped her lead back on her and we took a few laps around the indoor at a leisurely pace. 15 minutes out there was plenty, as my fingers were starting to get really cold. With its metal walls, the indoor can feel like a freezer on really cold days.

I cleaned out her stall, fluffed in some extra shavings, picked out her feet, tucked her back in her stall with another flake of hay, filled her bucket full of half warm and half cold water, and wished her good night. Not much else to do when it's this cold. I'm liking the looks of the weather as the week progresses.


No comments: