Sunday, January 31, 2016

Thinking about Dude


Dude would have been 23 today. I knew I wasn't going to be at the barn today due to another commitment, so last night, after I groomed Bestie, I sat on the shavings in her stall and watched her eat her hay and I thought about Dude.

Each year I did a little sign  for his stall; this one was for his 21st birthday in 2014. Going through all the photos looking for the one above made me smile as I remembered what a funny guy he was, but also made me sad because I never thought he'd leave us so soon. It's still unbelievable to me that he's not around.  My daughter told me today about a friend of hers whose dog was diagnosed with cancer and died within the week after diagnosis. She said it was tough on the family. I thought, "I know." A sudden death leaves you reeling. The month after he died was a lost month for me. I felt like I just went through the motions.

I still miss him. I'm glad I have so many photos to keep the wonderful memories fresh in my mind.

Let a horse whisper in your ear and breathe on your heart. You will never regret it. -Author unknown

No comments: