Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dude and Katie reunited

Yay! With Katie home, she has taken over Dude-related responsibilities again. Yesterday I went to the barn after multiple errands and happened to be there when she arrived. I lunged Bestie and Katie rode Dude around in the indoor while Bestie trotted around in circles (with only one brief galloping snorting "I need longer turnout" moment).

I wondered what Dude thought this year as Katie popped back into his life during her school breaks in November, December, March and now. Did he wonder what had happened to her and where she went during those weeks he didn't see her? I watched them in the indoor and he looked really happy; his little ears were up and he had a lot more pep in his step than he does with me. I think he loves having his kid back aboard.

I like being at the barn with Katie. We talk as we pass one another in the aisle or in the tack room, or we take them out to graze and chat then. It's just sort of laid-back idle chat but it helps me tune in to her life. At the barn, she does her thing efficiently and doesn't complain about the work. She just does it.

We both decided independently that today should be Bath Day, since it's supposed to be in the upper 70s and may even hit 80 degrees. Both Dude and Bestie need good scrubs after a winter in blankets and the past week rolling around in mud in the pasture. (No matter how dry the fields seem, they always seem to find a mud spot.) More later on Bath Day. I'm looking forward to deep inhalations of their pina colada scented hair conditioner!

No comments: