Friday, August 8, 2008

A baby visits the barn

Yesterday while I was at the barn a woman showed up with her little baby in one of those wrappy chest sling holders and asked if she could look at the horses. She mentioned that she had already talked to our barn manager who had said she could come in and walk around. She was interested in exposing her baby to new sights and smells to stimulate her. I thought that this was very interesting. The baby is only 11 weeks old and that someone would think to bring a baby to a BARN was a first for me. I never would've. Of course, when Maddie and Katie were babies we were miles from any barn, but still, I think I would've been a little worried about the dirt and stuff. Actually, I wouldn't have been with Maddie; I was pretty over that by the time she came around :).

So the lady was very nice and the baby was very cute and while we talked the baby grinned her precious little toothless grin at Bestie, who looked at her with interest but also a bit perplexed, like "what IS this thing all wrapped up in front of my stall??" Katie was riding Dude, so I suggested the woman walk down to the indoor because Dude loves small children. And dogs. And chickens. I instructed her to call out "Door" as she neared the door so that everyone in the indoor would be expecting a person to materialize. When I went on down to the tack room, there she was at the door, with Dude craning his big head toward the baby with Katie on him. Would've been a good photo. It was very funny to watch the baby's expression and her eyes shifting around the barn at all the movement.

The mom said she would show up periodically so it will be kind of fun to watch the baby. Better than the people who show up and feed the horses way to many treats. Of course we all laughingly warned her that she was likely starting her little girl down the path of equine no return.

No comments: