Monday, August 4, 2008

Rainy day in the barn



Bestie: "If I do my alert cute look I bet she'll take me out to handgraze."



Dude, bored in his stall, initiating yet another attempt to reach the brushes and whatnot right out of his reach.

Yesterday it rained pretty much ALL day. The horses were not turned out, which is standard operating procedure when it pours. They were both pretty antsy by the time I got there in the early afternoon. I brushed them and mucked their stalls and kind of cleaned up our tack trunk, killing time until a break in the rain occurred and I could run them out to graze. Luckily I got just enough of a break to get them both out for about 20 minutes each in a light drizzle.

Dude's bump had migrated downward. There was a definite bite mark, and the swelling had gone down around the bite site (which wasn't visible on Saturday), dropping low on his neck. He still seemed perfectly unfazed by it, so again, I decided to bute him in his dinner last night and I rubbed some more Sore No More on. My bet's on it being a spider bite; I can't imagine what else would have caused such swelling. I fixed them both a bran mash, which they ate with their usual gusto, Dude banging his bucket around and Bestie ending up with it all over her face.

No comments: