Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A little unintended hiatus

Yikes, this may have been my longest stretch without writing. I'm not even sure why it occurred! Daughter number 1 is now back to college (boo hoo) and daughter number 2 has returned from a 10-day trip to Nicaragua, is now sick with a head cold, and hopefully headed back to school tomorrow if she's a-ok.

We drove Katie back to school last Sunday. I had arranged with Maddie that she would go to the barn and check out Dude and Bestie in my absence. Of course those plans fell by the wayside because at the last minute she rememberd a school-related commitment. So after a 8-hour round trip drive to CT, I got back in the car to go to the barn and check on the ponies, who were surprised and happy to see me at a later time of night--7 pm. Part of their happiness I'm sure was that 7 pm falls in the in-between hour, a no-hay no man's land between dinner at 5 and late night flake at 9 pm. So they are always enthusiastic when anyone arrives then.

I took them both out for a graze as I brushed them, then mucked their stalls, cleaned their water buckets and wrapped it up for the night. Katie had said good bye to Dude on Saturday. Maybe it was my imagination, but he seemed kind of resigned to my presence, like "Oh, it's just me and Grandma again." I wonder what he thinks when he doesn't see her, after he's gotten used to her daily presence over the summer. Got home around 8:30 pm .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... long day!

No comments: